Bee allergy is one of the most common allergic diseases that attract attention due to its fatal consequences. According to the studies conducted in our country, bee allergy is seen in 2-3%. There are many types of bees in the world. The most common causes of allergies are honey bees and wasps.
Bee allergy occurs especially in genetically susceptible people who are stung by the bee several times. It can be seen in other people in our country, especially in regions where bee breeding is high. Bee sting is one of the common situations, especially in picnic areas. In order for bee allergy to develop, the person must have been stung by the bee before and sensitivity must occur.
The presence of bee allergy can be detected by skin tests and blood tests (RAST). It is necessary to apply bee allergy vaccine to people who have been stung by a bee and had a serious reaction. Such treatments must be applied by an allergist.
Recommendations for Those with Bee Allergies
- Do not shop in the summer, do not walk around in the garden,
- Do not eat in open places, drink fragrant juice, soda,
- Don’t go to a picnic,
- Do not apply perfume, deodorant, cologne,
- Do not use fragrant soap, shampoo,
- Do not wear brightly colored floral dresses,
- Do not collect flowers, do not wear flower patterns,
- When you go on vacation, investigate if there are beehives around,
- Do not kill the wasps around the hive, the scents released from this bee attract other bees,
- Do not walk barefoot, if possible, wear long-sleeved and long-sleeved clothing outside, and prefer brown clothes, bees do not like brown.
- If you have to deal with the garden, use a hat and gloves,
- Being sweaty is attractive to all insects, be careful not to be sweaty in risky areas,
- Wasp is aggressive, honey bee is calm; however, be careful in hot weather as both will be offensive.
- If the bee stings you, try to get the sting with a magnifying glass and tweezers, or ask someone for help. Keep antiallergic drugs with you at all times.
- People who have had severe bee allergy before should always carry EpiPen. EpiPen is an injection that you can apply on your own thigh. Contains epinerfin. Epinephrine is the most important drug used in anaphylactic shock.
In case of bee sting;
Apply bandage from the top of the sting, loosen this bandage every 10 minutes for 3 minutes. Apply cold instead of sting. Apply anti-allergic drugs. Use if you have adrenaline or EpiPen. Contact a doctor as soon as possible.
The basis in treatment is to reduce the risk of stinging by the bee. For this, follow the above suggestions carefully. Apart from that, antiallergic drugs are used when cortisone and adrenaline are required.
- The most important treatment for bee allergy is vaccine treatment. Vaccine treatment against bee allergy lasts for 2-3 years, but it is 100% successful.
- First of all, it is correct to remove the sting of the bee as soon as possible. It is preferable to do this by not pulling, but by scraping the skin with a blunt-edged object such as a credit card.
- The wound is washed with soap and water.
- Ice application will reduce the allergic reaction of the body. Up to half an hour of ice can be applied as far as the child allows.
- Carbonated water can be applied to the wound.
- Depending on the situation, painkillers or antihistamine type allergy medications may be helpful.
the child has stung a large number of bees previously had a serious allergic reaction as a result of bee stings the place where the bee stings is inside the mouth or nose, it is necessary to contact the emergency room immediately.